Obesity : Genesis, Diagnosis, Solution & Prevention
Obesity is defined as an increased body weight in relation to height, when compared to some standard of acceptable or desirable weight.
An approximate measure of whether someone is overweight or underweight, is calculated by dividing their weight in kg by the square of their height called as Body Mass Index.
Body Mass Index (BMI) = weight (kg)/height (m*m)
A person with a BMI of 30 or more is generally considered obese. A person with a BMI equal to or more than 25 is considered overweight.
Once considered a problem only in high income countries, overweight and obesity are now dramatically on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings.
Causes of Obesity
Obesity is caused by minute details that a normal person skips to follow in daily life.
A few of them are listed below-
- Inactivity: Without activity you do not burn much calories.
- Imbalanced Diets: Eating habit of high calories diets especially in night or taking junk food increases body fat.
- Pregnancy: Women gain weight during pregnancy and if they do not lose that weight, they become obese.
- Lack of sleep: This causes disturbance in body hormones and increase in appetite.
- Drugs: Some medicines cause weight gain e.g. drug for diabetes, steroids, antidepressant.
- Medical conditions: Some diseases & syndromes lead the body to store more fat and gain weight. Some diseases lower the metabolic rate in the body which lowers the rate of calories burnt every day e.g. Hypothyroidism and some lead the patient to lower his activity.
- Genetics: Genes affect the amount of body fat we store and where to store.
- Life style: Culture, life style of the family and the food they eat affects the obesity. In some countries people are more obese than others.
- Age: Obesity could occur at any age but getting old reduces the burning calories and results in fat gain.
Complications of Obesity:
Excess weight or obesity may be linked to diabetes, and metabolic disorder.
If neglected it may lead to:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes type 2
- Poor wound healing
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Cancers- Endometrial, Cervical and Colon
- Gall Bladder stones
- Sleep Apnea( dangerous sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops & starts)
- High cholesterol & triglycerides
- Back pain
- Premature death & disability
Examination of an obese patient:
To decide the appropriate line of treatment, an obese patient is examined in respect of the following:
- Physical condition of vital signs including blood pressure, temperature, heart rate, lungs, breathing sound and the abdomen.
- Calculate Body Mass Index
- Blood test, Cholesterol test, Fasting sugar, Liver function and Thyroid test etc.
Naturopathy treatment for Weight Loss
Healthy weight is the main goal for obesity treatment. Naturopathy treatment for weight loss is very effective. The team at KWC consisting of Nutritionist, Dietitian, Obesity specialist and Nurse, plans for the following depending upon the patient’s requirement –
- Dietary changes
- Yoga (Asana & Pranayam)
- Obesity treatment by naturopathy.
- Acupressure to control obesity
- Exercise & activity
- Behavioral changes.
More about Yoga asana & Pranayama for Obesity:
Following Asanas are to be practiced for controlling obesity:
- Sukshma vyayam
- Butter fly asan
- Chakki chalana
- Kati soundarya asan
- Pashu vishram asan
- Sashank Asan
- Matsendra Asan
- Kon asan
- Triyak tadasan
- Pad hasta asan
- Uttan Pad Asan
- Sarvang asan
Pranayama is the universal life force or energy which distinguishes the living from the dead and can be availed through food, rest, breath and by being in a calm, happy frame of mind. However, the most important source of pranayama is breath – when our breath stops, we die. Breathing is one of the best things you can do to help your body recover, repair and function better.
We can throw out 90 percent of the toxins from our body by breathing correctly. Proper breathing can heal us from all worries or anxieties and we can win over any negative emotions like anger, jealousy, greed.
Benefits of pranayama:
- Enhances the quantity and quality of life force
- Clears blocked energy channels
- Harmonizes the body, mind and spirit
- Boosts the immune system
- Rejuvenates the body and mind
- Slows down the ageing process
Treatment for weight loss by Pranayama:
- Kapal Bhati
- Agni Sar Kriya
- Vahe Kumbhak Pranayam
- Bhramri Pranayam
- udagidh Pranayam
- Nauli Kriya
Weight Loss at Kratin Wellness Clinic
- Abdominal pack
- Hip bath
- Mud bath
- Steam bath
- Sauna bath
- Sun bath
- Massage (Full body massage, Under water massage, Powder massage)
- Herbal friction
- Hydro colon therapy
- Exercise & activity
Steps to prevent obesity:
There are a following few things if practiced regularly can prevent obesity:
- Do not sleep for more than 6 hours
- Limit high-fat / high-sugar food/drink
- Encourage water intake
- Eat low calories and fiber rich food, vegetables & fruits
- Drink Green tea
- Walking , Swimming, Yoga & Pranayam
- Limit ‘Screen time’ to less than 2 hours per day
- Monitor your weight regularly.
Fat is a hazardous waste stored in the body that leads to complications of functionality of other body organs.